Updated: Oct 6, 2020
By Coach Brian Nunez
As we enter the decisive fourth quarter of 2020, I’m thrilled to share a guest blog post from Nike Master Trainer, Brian Nunez, founder and owner of FNS Training Center in Santa Clara, California. I’m enormously grateful that I get to train virtually with Coach Brian from 3,000 miles away. It’s been one of quarantine’s greatest gifts!
Coach Brian is a legend because he helps everyday leaders and professional athletes alike to embrace their inner athletes and live fit, focused, and free lives. He understands building a great mindset at a level that very few people do.
In this post, he shares 10 quotes from Kobe Bryant. He then unpacks the mindset lessons from each quote.
Which lesson is your favorite? Decide how you will apply your favorite lesson to a challenge you’re facing today.
Here’s my favorite lesson: "Being consistently good is better than occasionally great. And doing that every day, will make you great."
Let’s commit to consistently showing up for our goals, and let’s keep creating our very own legendary lives.
Here’s the Mamba Mindset in 10 impactful life lessons:
1. BATTLE READY: "Everything negative – pressure, challenges – is an opportunity for me to rise."
Lesson: You have an opportunity to grow through adversity. This is where your character and leadership muscles are sharpened.
2. HUNGRY and FOCUSED: “Once you know what failure feels like, determination chases success.”
Lesson: Failure is the fuel to your success if you use it wisely. Ever been broke? Ever had a bad relationship where you were disrespected? Ever been unhealthy? Once you know the pain of failure, that will be the catalyst to your success. Unless that pain is bigger than the problem, nothing will ever change.
3. UNBREAKABLE: “I realized that intimidation didn’t really exist if you’re in the right frame of mind.”
Lesson: Attitude is everything. You can’t beat a person who refuses to be beat! I CAN, I WILL, I MUST! When that is your mindset, you cannot lose!
4. GRIT: “A lot of leaders fail because they don’t have the bravery to touch that nerve or strike that chord.”
Lesson: Be willing and courageous to be uncomfortable. Discomfort starts with challenging yourself first. Be brave enough to call yourself out on your own bullshit and strike a chord with yourself. Be brave enough to be coached and called out by asking others how they think you can improve.
5. BELIEF: “If you’re afraid to fail, then you’re probably going to fail.”
Lesson: Where your focus goes, your energy flows. Stop thinking about all the ways it could go wrong and focus on what can go right. Don’t be that person who has a problem for every solution. Stop playing "DEVILS ADVOCATE" all the time. Focus on winning, understand what that is going to take, but never think of failing.
6. PERSEVERANCE: “Pain doesn’t tell you when you ought to stop. Pain is the little voice in your head that tries to hold you back because it knows if you continue, you will change.”
Lesson: Our natural instinct is to find ways to make something easy with little effort. It’s hard to adapt and make changes. It requires daily effort and having a growth mindset. Once you dominate that little voice in your head, you override the software and once you do that, you change the hardware of your life.
7. CONSISTENT: "Do the simple stuff right every day."
Lesson: Being consistently good is better than occasionally great. And doing that every day, will make you great. Don’t be a one hit wonder. You lost weight, great job, now keep it off.
8. CONVICTION: “The most important thing is – you must put everybody on notice that you’re here and you are for real.”
Lesson: Stop trying to be all things to all people. No time to waste trying to please everyone at the cost of yourself and your goals. Tell everyone the mission that you are on, the right ones will stay, and the right ones will leave. Have the confidence and conviction in who you are, what you want, and how you are going to live your life.
9. LEGACY: “It’s the one thing you can control. You are responsible for how people remember you – or don’t. So, don’t take it lightly.”
Lesson: It starts with how you show up. Your energy introduces you before anything else. How you will be remembered starts with how you show up each day and your attitude.
10. INSPIRATION: "The most important thing is to try and inspire people so that they can be great in whatever they want to do."
Lesson: True greatness comes from inspiring others to be great. Don’t talk about it, be about. Let your actions and attitude speak for you.
Coach Brian Nunez is a Nike Master Trainer and the Founder and Owner of FNS Training Center in Santa Clara, California. He is an internationally recognized industry leader and award-winning presenter inspiring coaches and athletes all over the world. He is one of the most sought-after coaches in the world specializing in athletic performance, mental conditioning, and business leadership. His mission is to help millions of people around the world live a fit, focused, and free life. He is the author of Elevate to Great. Follow Coach Brian on Instagram: @coachbriannunez.